Does D have too many features?

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Sat Apr 28 14:18:21 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 21:05:12 UTC, q66 wrote:
> On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 20:50:30 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 09:22:59PM +0200, q66 wrote:
>> [...]
>>> - AAs integrated in the language; you barely ever use AA
>>> literals and
>>> having them purely in Phobos would help get rid of the
>>> runtime fat, as
>>> well as better implementations
>>
>> On the contrary, AA's are a major reason I started programming
>> in D. In
>> this day and age, it's simply inexcusable to *not* have some
>> kind of
>> hash type available by default.
>>

> Besides AA literals, library can handle this JUST FINE.

Yeah, but core language AA are so useful it would be a MAJOR
mistake to remove them. In Python too, you could put the AA in
the libraries. Yet everybody uses the AA that are in the language.

Where I DO agree with you is, Phobos should be a two level
library, i.e a minimalistic library, with about the same feature
set as the standard C library + multithreading, and a superset
with the full range of features (ranges, algorithms, etc). I've
already advocated it somewhere else.