Does D have too many features?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Apr 28 14:40:40 PDT 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:21:52PM +0200, q66 wrote:
[...]
> Well I'm not obviously saying the features should disappear, what I
> had in mind was some kind of distribution system for small packages,
> kinda like luaforge or CPAN, where everyone could find what they need
> for their project. But keep Phobos itself small.

If you're talking about very specific, niche features (like parsing
protein structure data files), then I agree they should be distributed
in separate libraries. But generic stuff that can be used in a wide
array of tasks should go in the standard library.

Again I say, being able to distribute your sources without requiring the
user to download 50 different libraries just to compile it, is a big
plus to me. Being able to say "just compile with the standard library"
is best, because it means people can just download my code and compile
it immediately. Same goes for binary distribution: it's much much better
to say "here, just download this binary and run it with the language
standard library" than to say "download this binary, then library X,
then library Y, then library Z which is needed by library X, then
library W needed by ...".

Freedom of speech: the whole world has no right *not* to hear my spouting off!