Does D have too many features?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sat Apr 28 15:04:27 PDT 2012

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:58:19PM +0200, deadalnix wrote:
[...]
>  - is is messed up. It is a massive hack and have to be rationalized.

As I said in another thread, the _functionality_ of various is()
expressions are very useful and should be kept. But the _syntax_ is
completely b0rked and needs some serious redesign.

>  - version is a bad version of static if. The static if part of the
> version must go.

What's your proposal?

>  - comma expression is confusing and have very little benefice.

+1. I say that D3 should drop the comma operator. Esp. when doing so
will open up the way for having native syntax for tuples. Needing to
resort to Phobos to have a way to name a compiler-supported type is
backwards and silly.

>  - out arguments. We can return tuples, out argument is going
> backward in history.

Not when there's no way to name tuples without resorting to Phobos (or
copy-n-paste Phobos code).

>  - many array properties (.sort for instance) are useless and would
> be way better as libs.

Yeah, .sort is redundant, and besides shouldn't be an array "property"
to begin with.

What's a "hot crossed bun"? An angry rabbit.