Does D have too many features?

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 28 15:18:37 PDT 2012

On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 20:50:30 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 09:22:59PM +0200, q66 wrote:
>> - Phobos is too fat - it needs to shrink to just a few core
>> modules,
>> others being distributed via some system like CPAN for Perl
>
> Um... that's what a *library* is supposed to be: a large
> collection of
> useful stuff from which you can pick the few that you need
> right now.

  And the STL and libc isn't big? Size is only intimidating if you
don't know what your looking for. Having to scour in std.ascii,
then std.utf, then std.array or other locations when your looking
for something can get a little annoying. But it's a learning
curve, once you know it you tend to find the functions and
information fairly quickly.

  More likely a good tutorial through the library would alleviate
some of that, or just the parts that are more confusing. One part
for example involving conversion for unicode, I still have no
idea how to convert Latin1String (extended ascii) to utf so I
could use all of phobos's power; So I've ended up writing my own
little conversion function for that. It's going to come down that
stuff we write and post up that we think is self explanatory
isn't because as the implementers we understand it in intimately.