Designing a consistent language is *very* hard

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Apr 28 17:39:43 PDT 2012

On Saturday, April 28, 2012 21:27:28 q66 wrote:
> So .. D3 is coming? *runs*

I think that the last time that Andrei mentioned anything about D3, he said
something about maybe 10 years from now. Certainly, if we were to embark on D3
now, we'd just hamstring D2 and probably kill it. Once D2 is fully stable and
well-established, we can look at what's worked with it and what hasn't and
look at creating a new iteration of the language. But doing that before D2 is
fully stable is suicide. We're taking long enough to reach that _without_
doing does of feature changes.

We can probably add backwards-compatible features later on, but for now, the
focus needs to be on stabilizing what we have, and we _definitely_ don't want
to completely redesign any aspects of the language at this point.

- Jonathan M Davis