Does D have too many features?

Dmitry Olshansky dmitry.olsh at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 22:47:57 PDT 2012

On 29.04.2012 3:25, foobar wrote:
> On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 20:43:38 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:

>>> D has a lot of ad-hock features which make the language
>>> needlessly large and complex. I'd strive to replace these with
>>> better general purpose mechanisms.
>>>
>>> My list:
>>> * I'd start with getting rid of foreach completely. (not just
>>> foreach_reverse).
>>

>> foreach is very useful. Have you actually used D?
>>

> I have used D and didn't claim that foreach isn't useful.
> What I said that is that it belongs in the library, NOT the language.

C++ was criticized for a long time for NOT having foreach in the
language. Now they have
http://www2.research.att.com/~bs/C++0xFAQ.html#for. Also people were so
desperate to gave it that even this
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_49_0/doc/html/foreach.html was
considered a nice addition to boost (and still part of it).

Obviously somehow you want to go into the opposite direction. Beats me.

--
Dmitry Olshansky