Does D have too many features?

Marco Leise Marco.Leise at gmx.de
Sat Apr 28 22:54:04 PDT 2012

Am Sat, 28 Apr 2012 15:39:49 -0400
schrieb "Nick Sabalausky" <SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com>:

> "q66" <quaker66 at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ihqjguujvoukhlqcwkyi at forum.dlang.org...
> >
> > - Phobos is too fat - it needs to shrink to just a few core modules,
> > others being distributed via some system like CPAN for Perl
> > - Properties - they're kinda broken at this point and the value is
> > questionable
> > - @trusted @system
> > - Exception handling - a lot of runtime, questionable value
>
> That's just craziness!

Madness even! AAs are soon mostly in the library and that's a good trade-off; @trusted @system needs to be there as long as there is @safe; exception handling - some people rely on it heavily. See it as the easy way to error out of a function that doesn't normally return anything and cascade up several calls, while being able to release resources in each.
I don't know about Phobos. Some batteries included are nice and help the popularity. When it comes to bindings to third party products with many alternatives, like databases, I'd say one should cut it there definitly.
I can agree on the rest.

--
Marco