Does D have too many features?

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Sun Apr 29 01:28:47 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 29 April 2012 at 08:13:53 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> There will still be sugar in the compiler so they appear to be
> builtins.
> When the switch happens, I'm sure it'll be transparent -
> average users
> probably won't even notice. It's just that "behind the scenes"
> their
> implementation will move from DMD to Druntime.

Hmmm, sounds nice, but bolting the language with the standard
library is very risky (and a rather bad idea imho). Unless there
is a very lightweight minimalistic core for Phobos (something
which I advocate), you bolt a heavyweight library to your
language, and that's not good.

I'd rather keep the integrated the AAs, which are fine for most
applications, and have templated AAs in the library for heavier
use. Even though it may seem redundant, it's just as redundant as
having arrays in the core language and std.array. Noone would
want to remove arrays from the core language, right ?