Does D have too many features?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Apr 29 01:29:54 PDT 2012

On Sunday, April 29, 2012 10:22:44 David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Sunday, 29 April 2012 at 08:20:59 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > The compiler doesn't necessarily know that foo won't remove key
> > from aa, so it
> > can't save the result of key in aa to reuse rather than calling
> > aa[key],
> > whereas the programmer could know that foo doesn't do anything
> > to aa which
> > would make a pointer to the element invalid and can guarantee
> > that only one
> > lookup occurs by doing
> > […]
>
> Yes, point taken, but what does this have to do with locality?

I think that you're thinking of something completely different about the term
locality than I meant. I meant locality in terms of how close the aa[key]
expression was to the key in aa expression within the function - i.e. how
local they were to each other. I may have misused the term though. I don't
know.

- Jonathan M Davis