Does D have too many features?

Manu turkeyman at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 11:08:39 PDT 2012

On 29 April 2012 18:50, Don <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:

> On 28.04.2012 20:47, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> Andrei and I had a fun discussion last night about this question. The
>> idea was which features in D are redundant and/or do not add significant
>> value?
>>
>> A couple already agreed upon ones are typedef and the cfloat, cdouble
>> and creal types.
>>
>> What's your list?
>>

> * The >>> operator, which does nothing except introduce bugs (It does NOT
> perform an unsigned shift).

What does it do? I use this all over the place, I assumed it worked...
maybe I have bugs?

> * package. I have no idea how a failed Java experiment got incorporated
> into D.

package confuses me, it's poorly documented. What are the protections
between packages, sub-packages. Can parent packages see sub-package
contents? vice-versa?

* Most of the __traits are useless and redundant.

Which traits are useless and redundant? I'm actually finding the set is
incomplete, and there are some missing (parameter list introspection,
current scope/object identification, current module/package)