Does D have too many features?

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Sun Apr 29 12:19:49 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 29 April 2012 at 12:26:13 UTC, David Nadlinger wrote:
> On Saturday, 28 April 2012 at 18:48:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> What's your list?
>
> My personal list of features I could easily live without –
> some of these might be controversial, but yes, I have written
> non-trivial amounts of code in both D1 and D2:

What I forgot to mention:
  - VersionCondition: Just provide a mechanism to map command line
flags to constants, probably in a magic »version« namespace,
(unittest)«).

  - DebugCondition: Hardly used in practice, at least not in ways
that couldn't easily be replaced with a static if (resp.
version). It is a frequent source of confusion for newcomers that
-debug is orthogonal to -O/-release, and I'm not too fond of the
purity »escape hatch« built in (why not just use casts in those
rare cases?).

David