Does D have too many features?

Alex Rønne Petersen xtzgzorex at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 13:26:40 PDT 2012

On 28-04-2012 22:43, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:47:31AM -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Andrei and I had a fun discussion last night about this question.
>> The idea was which features in D are redundant and/or do not add
>> significant value?
>>
>> A couple already agreed upon ones are typedef and the cfloat,
>> cdouble and creal types.
>
> D has typedef?? Wow. And I thought I had a good grasp of D.

It "has" typedef, but it is deprecated.

>> What's your list?
>
> Comma operator.

+1.

> foreach_reverse.

+1.

> with statements. They make code hard to read, and besides you can (or
> should be able to) alias long expressions into a short identifier for
> this purpose anyway.

I don't think I agree entirely here. If you have very long sequences of
statements operating on the same object, with can be very useful. That
said, I recognize that the current implementation of with needs some work.

> The great variety of string quoting syntax, while useful, seem to need
> some cleanup and unification. Get rid of r"", `` works just fine. (Or
> vice versa, but not both.) Delimited strings and token strings may be
> possible to be unified, perhaps?

IMHO r"" is better than `` for the simple reason that typing `` is
extremely annoying on non-US keyboards.

> It's about time octal literals went the way of the bit bucket.

I think those are already deprecated.

> There's probably more, I'll post them as I think of them.

- Alex