Does D have too many features?

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Sun Apr 29 13:48:13 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 29 April 2012 at 20:00:27 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen
wrote:

> Let's get a standard package manager that we either advocate on
> dlang.org or include in the releases before we start talking
> about reducing the amount of modules in Phobos.

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to reduce the amount of modules
in Phobos. I think it's a great standard library.
A little bit buggy in some places, and lacks a few important
features (that are in the review queue), but great overall.
I fear the risk with a package system is, having some parts of
Phobos not being correctly maintained with time. And I want to be
able to have the whole thing with a single download.
No, my concern was, for smaller applications, in embedded systems
for instance (Android, iOS, etc), there is not really a small
basic library. So I would think of a two level standard library,
one on top of the other.
OTOH, Jonathan Davis made the remark that we can always use the C
lib and its bindings, so this mostly satisfies my concern.