Does D have too many features?

Alex Rønne Petersen xtzgzorex at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 13:50:00 PDT 2012

On 29-04-2012 03:20, ponce wrote:
> Le 28/04/2012 20:47, Walter Bright a écrit :
>> What's your list?
>
> - builtin complex types (I don't _need_ be able to write "4 + 5i")

+1.

> - builtin associative arrays
> - some builtin properties like arr.sort

+1, and .reverse. I'm also against .dup and .idup being properties, but
these don't modify the array in place, so I take less issue with them.

> - lazy, I use it only for logging

lazy is horribly broken in many ways. Try to make a lazy value where the
producing delegate is pure.

(Hint: You can't.)

> - foreach_reverse, never used it
> - comma operator: when do you ever need it?

I've never used it intentionally, ever, but have been bitten in the ass
countless times because of it.

> - in operator

Disagree. However, I do think it needs to made more useful (for
instance, I simply don't understand why I can't use in to test for
existence in an array).

--
- Alex