Does D have too many features?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Sun Apr 29 19:19:22 PDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 04:43:12PM +0200, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2012-04-28 21:36, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
[...]
> >Another feature I'm curious about is .dup/.idup. It's basically
> >hardcoded for a couple of types, but why not instead use UFCS and
> >implement .dup/.idup in std.array as a free function? Then you might
> >even use it for user-types by requiring a type to implement
> >.dup/.idup functions.
>
> Agree with this one as well.
[...]

+1. This would make generic code easier to write. Which is good, because
the less we have to rewrite code that's been written a hundred times in
the past already, the better.

A linguistics professor was lecturing to his class one day.
"In English," he said, "A double negative forms a positive. In some
languages, though, such as Russian, a double negative is still a
negative. However, there is no language wherein a double positive can
form a negative."
A voice from the back of the room piped up, "Yeah, yeah."