Does D have too many features?

Kapps opantm2+spam at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 20:12:27 PDT 2012

On Monday, 30 April 2012 at 01:08:28 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Sunday, April 29, 2012 17:50:48 Don wrote:
>> * package. I have no idea how a failed Java experiment got
>> incorporated
>> into D.
>
> Really? In some cases, it's indispensable. For instance, once
> std.datetime has
> been split up, it will require it, or it would have duplicate a
> bunch of
> implementation-specific stuff which has no business in the
> public API.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

It's entirely dependent on your coding style. For example, when
you look at Phobos you rarely (if ever?) see package functions.
This is because it's entirely module based with a strong degree
of separation between modules.

However, for someone coming from C#, removing package would be
awful. I personally use package quite often. For the most part, I
stick to one major class per file, and separate things across
library. There are plenty of things that I want other classes in
the package/static-library to use, but don't want to expose to
the public, and thus use package for.