Does D have too many features?

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Mon Apr 30 03:08:53 PDT 2012

On Monday, 30 April 2012 at 07:52:10 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> On 30.04.2012 10:55, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>> On Monday, April 30, 2012 01:41:45 bearophile wrote:
>>> Walter:
>>>
>>> This thread now has something like 240 answers (and probably
>>> few
>>> more will come), and despite some variability in the answers,
>>> we
>>> have seen several recurring patterns too. So what are the
>>> conclusions, take-home insights, and the to-do's to make
>>> something in practice, from Walter&  Andrei?
>>
>> Honestly, I don't think that you _can_ take much from this
>> thread other than
>> the fact that pretty _every_ feature is wanted and used by
>> someone, even if
>> other people hate it. Pretty much every feature listed as
>> undesirable by
>> someone was listed as desirable by someone else.
>
> foreach_reverse, comma operator, etc.

These are the only two I can count that nobody felt eager to
keep. Yet these are only nitpicks. Also, both work, so the
benefit of removing them vs breaking code... I would be glad to
remove the current comma operator if its semantic was changed for
something like this:
http://forum.dlang.org/post/ajdmseliewbindkkoxxj@forum.dlang.org
But I don't think it's on the table.

So I believe the conclusion several of us have reached is, that
it's more important to make things that already exist work as
intended without ugly corner cases and hacks.