Does D have too many features?

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 30 09:44:59 PDT 2012

On 30 April 2012 17:16, SomeDude <lovelydear at mailmetrash.com> wrote:
> On Monday, 30 April 2012 at 16:14:58 UTC, SomeDude wrote:
>>
>> On Monday, 30 April 2012 at 15:19:29 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
>>>
>>> On 30-04-2012 11:46, SomeDude wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't have a clone of my repo from where I am now, so I can't count,
>>> but it usually takes around ~30 seconds with DMD, ~2 minutes with GDC.
>>

>> For how many files/lines of code ?
>

> And on what hardware ? I'd like to have a bit of an idea of how
> fast the compilers really are.

That sort of speed difference sounds about right.  I'm not sure how
the DMD backend works, but I assume that there is no more than about 3
passes.  A conversion from D Frontend AST to DM Backend AST, possibly
a peephole optimiser, then an output to object code.

GCC backend has some 50+ passes it processes the generated AST through
passed from GDC. Not to mention it only outputs assembly code.  So
there is some overhead for calling AS to compile to object code
(something that DMD just compiles straight to), and double overhead
for calling LD to link the resultant binary/library.

Regards

--
Iain Buclaw

*(p < e ? p++ : p) = (c & 0x0f) + '0';