Does D have too many features?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon Apr 30 10:14:39 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 01:04:01PM -0400, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
[...]
> And while I obviously can't say for certain what Walter intended, it
> was my impression that the point of this thread was more out of
> curiosity and for "lessons learned" from designing D than to actually
> make any changes to the language right now (especially when you
> consider how much Walter hates breaking backwards compatibility). But
> obviously, he'd have to clarify for us to know for sure.
[...]

It would be unwise to make major changes to the language at this point.
Personally I'd like to see the comma operator removed, but people keep
saying it will break existing code, so that's probably not going to
happen in D2. D3 perhaps will be able to clean up a lot of this mess.

And frankly, most of the responses on this thread (including my own,
I'll admit) are more wishlist items than the truly "redundant" features
that Walter referred to initially.

And I have to say that in spite of little annoyances here and there, D2
is still the closest to my ideal programming language, and that's
unlikely to change anytime soon. What we really need to focus on now is
to hone the existing features, clean up the bugs, and improve the
implementation, rather than continue to introduce new features and
breaking changes. Existing features really need to Just Work(tm). We
will drive away many potential D users by incomplete/buggy
implementation of advertised features.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.