Does D have too many features?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Mon Apr 30 17:14:42 PDT 2012

Timon Gehr:

> * I agree on supporting deducing length for static arrays.
> (there is a
>   int[$] arr = [1,2,3]; proposal.)

Someone in Bugzilla ha just proposed an alternative idea, that
despite not looking very nice, is not overall bad (here with a
small change):

auto arr = [1, 2, 3]f;

That trailing f denotes a fixed-side array/string literal. So
it's usable for other situations too.

> * the foo(a,&b) example is biased because it uses a meaningless
>   function name. From the function name alone it is often
> *almost*
>   clear that a certain argument will be modified. & & & spam is
> not
>   'clean' either.

In C# you need to use "ref" and "out" at the calling point (in
most cases). D language has chosen a different design, but here
C# design has some advantages too, it makes the code semantics a
bit more clear.

Bye,
bearophile