Let's stop parser Hell

Philippe Sigaud philippe.sigaud at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 14:23:21 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Andrej Mitrovic
<andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/1/12, Philippe Sigaud <philippe.sigaud at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I somehow thought that with UTF-8 you were limited to a part of
>> Unicode, and to another, bigger part with UTF-16.
>> I equated Unicode with UTF-32.
>> This is what completely warped my vision. It's good to learn something
>> new everyday, I guess.
>
> I think many people viewed Unicode this way at first. But there is a
> metric ton of cool info out there if you want to get to know more
> about unicode

I will, but not yet. I've a few books on parsing and compilers to read
before that.
I just read http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html,
though, and I'm a bit disappointed that char 7 (\u007) does not make
my computer beep. I remember now having my computer beep on char 7
during the 80s when ASCII was the only thing that existed.