dlang google summary

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Aug 1 20:41:47 PDT 2012

On Thursday, August 02, 2012 05:34:37 cal wrote:
> Just wanted to point out that for a while now when you type dlang
> into google, the summary that google puts up starts with the
> latin from the input to the sample code on the main page:
>
> Standard input. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur
> adipiscing elit. Mauris tristique rutrum sem, nec convallis enim
> bibendum ut. Donec ac dolor tortor, ...
>
> Whereas it used to have a sensible summary like 'Modelling power,
> native efficiency', etc. Bing doesn't do this.
>
> Not end of the world stuff, but it looks a little hacky, maybe
> instead of the latin, you could use an english summary of D, I
> dunno.

It looks like that text is what's used as the default arguments for the
program at the top of the front page, but as far as I can tell, there's no way
to actually see that text without looking at the page's source, so the fact
that Google is showing it is rather funny. I do kind of wonder why Google
grabbed that instead of the "The D pro­gram­ming lan­guage. Mod­ern con­ve­
nience. Mod­el­ing power. Na­tive ef­fi­ciency." at the top of the page though.
Maybe it doesn't grab headers? In either case, it does make the google search
a bit weird.

- Jonathan M Davis