std.d.lexer requirements

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Aug 2 15:01:59 PDT 2012

On 8/2/2012 1:20 PM, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> +1 Another point is that it's crystal clear *how* to optimize lexer, and gain
> some precious time. It is well trodden path with well known destination.

I'm less sure how well known it is. DMC++ was known for being *several times*
faster than other C++ compilers, not just a few percent faster.

But we do have the DMD lexer which is useful as a benchmark and a guide. I won't
say it couldn't be made faster, but it does set a minimum bar for performance.