std.d.lexer requirements

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Aug 2 20:00:41 PDT 2012

On 8/2/12 10:40 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> To reiterate another point, since we are in the compiler business,
> people will expect std.d.lexer to be of top quality, not some bag on the
> side. It needs to be usable as a base for writing a professional quality
> compiler. It's the reason why I'm pushing much harder on this than I do
> for other modules.

The lexer must be configurable enough to tokenize other languages than
D. I confess I'm very unhappy that there seem to be no less than three
people determined to write lexers for D. We're wasting precious talent
and resources doubly. Once, several people are working in parallel on
the same product. Second, none of them is actually solving the problem
that should be solved.

Andrei