Let's not make invariants const

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 3 14:10:46 PDT 2012

On Friday, 3 August 2012 at 20:48:29 UTC, Alex Rønne Petersen
wrote:
> The problem here is that making invariants const *now* means
> that using them in conjunction with Phobos code becomes next to
> impossible. Casting away const will become common practice, and
> that ain't exactly the way we want to go. :/

  Doesn't 'const' only qualify for the object's (this) code? If
that's the case, you could have a global object inside a debug
statement, then put those inside the invariants so you get your
output (say, in a text file), while keeping it const. Having no
side effects is pure, meaning global state would be unreachable
(and debug already bypasses pure, but not safe).