wc example

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Fri Aug 3 18:44:38 PDT 2012

One of the first things people looking to know more about D see
is the word count example. It's the top item in Overview and
"Examples" are the equivalent of "Screenshots" for GUI programs
in that it's almost always the first thing people want to see.

The word count example is, frankly, pretty dated.  Its history is
hard to track but, except for some minor changes to get it to
build with D2, it's stayed essentially the same for at least 4
year (probably longer). New users in IRC have found bugs with it
and people are sometimes confused by things in it[1].  The
Associative Arrays page has its own version that is somewhat
improved (a bit less featureful though).

I think it needs to be replaced with something more
representative of modern idiomatic D2. It could remain a version
of word count or we could try something more ambitious[2]. Either
way, I thought I'd ask for ideas before I attempt a pull request.

BA

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11805010/why-is-the-string-set-to-null-in-this-wc-example
[2] http://synonym.dartlang.org/ or http://hyperpolyglot.org/cpp
(though maybe these would be better as a new page).