Is D Language mature for MMORPG Client ?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Aug 4 00:20:48 PDT 2012

On Saturday, August 04, 2012 09:13:48 SomeDude wrote:
> Well, normally, with the new STABLE branch, this is going to be a
> thing of the past

LOL. No offense, but it's really not going to fix the problem. It'll mitigate it
somewhat, but it won't fix it. Bug fixes break code all the time (generally
because the code shouldn't have worked in the first place, but regardless,
fixing bugs often causes code to stop compiling). And regardless of whether the
average release in dlang-stable breaks anything, as soon as they merge in the
next official release of dmd, you're in exactly the same situation you're in
now. And it's not like official releases will be occuring less often now. It
just means that you'll be able to get partial releases at a higher frequency
with dlang-stable while you wait for the next official release.

For things to stop breaking with each release, their needs to be few enough
major bugs that breaking changes caused by bug fixes are relatively rare, and
Phobos is going to need to stabilize enough that deprecations are quite rare.
We're approaching both of those points, but we're definitely not there yet, and
dlang-stable won't magically get us there.

- Jonathan M Davis