Is D Language mature for MMORPG Client ?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Aug 4 05:25:47 PDT 2012

Andrei Alexandrescu:

>> (*) Ada has many features missing in D that make its programs
>> significantly safer than D programs, like:
>> - built-in ranged integers;
>> - user-defined array indexes;
>> - clean syntax to stack-allocate matrices of runtime-defined
>> sizes;
>> - pointer kinds with different limitations;
>> - stack overeflow safeties;
>> - safe concurrency;
>> - no undefined semantics;
>> - explicit type conversions;
>> - sane modulus on negative numbers;
>> - integral runtime overflow tests;
>> - etc etc.
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>
> What did I just read? Oh boy.

Sorry, let me explain better and again. There are programming
tasks where a lot of reliability is required, but for some
reasons a widespread virtual machine is not desired. In such
cases people sometimes use C or C++ (sometimes with some enforced
restrictions) or Ada (or some of its stricter subsets, as Spark),
and once in a while Eiffel. D language offers features to
increase code reliability, but:
- As long as D compilers and Phobos are significantly buggy, it's
hard to write reliability programs, regardless of the qualities
of D language. Ada specs and Ada compiler writers know this very
well;
- As I have listed, Ada offers numerous means to constrain code
and avoid many bugs statically. From what I am seeing D is less
bug-prone than C++, but more bug prone than Ada. But so far I
have not seen people interested in using D in some of the places
where Ada is used.

Bye,
bearophile