Is D Language mature for MMORPG Client ?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Aug 4 08:12:53 PDT 2012

Andrei Alexandrescu:

> I wasn't referring the clarity of explanation, just that I
> think this sort of righteous pontification - cheap to produce,
> yet implying vast insight - doesn't add any value to the
> exchange.

I agree that my answers were a little OT to the main discussion
of this thread. But sometimes you want to discuss a bit more wide
things, outside a matchbox. Next time in similar situations I
will start a new thread then.

My two post didn't imply to contain significant insights, they
mostly contain a single question.

Regarding the value of those two posts, they raises some
questions, like: is D fit just for video games, or is it good to
write highly reliable programs too? Are Ada programmers going to
appreciate D?

The purposes of a language are important, because they must guide
its design and progressive development. If D is very good mostly
for games, then probably it's worth adding in Phobos things
useful to write games, and the language designers need to listen
more to what people like Carmak ask to language designers. On the
other hand if in D future there is the creation of high integrity
systems to replace some of the current uses of Ada (and
C-high-integrity profiles), then it's worth considering how much
useful some Ada features are, maybe for present and future
improvements of D. As I have shown Ada has several advantages
over D in that regard.

Bye,
bearophile