The review of std.hash package

Christophe Travert travert at phare.normalesup.org
Wed Aug 8 10:33:01 PDT 2012

"Chris Cain" , dans le message (digitalmars.D:174477), a écrit :

I think you misunderstood me (and it's probably my fault, since I don't
know much of hash functions), I was wanted to compare two kind of
concepts:

1/ message digest functions, like md5, or sha1, used on large files,
which is what is covered by this std.hash proposal.
2/ small hash function. Like what are use in an associative array, and
are called toHash when used a member function.

And I didn't thought of:
3/ cryptographic hash functions

My opinion was that in a module or package called hash, I expect tools
concerning #2. But #1 and #2 can coexist in the same package. The
proposed std.hash.hash defines a digest concept for #1. That's why I
would rather have it named std.hash.digest, leaving room in the hash
package to other concepts, like small hash functions that can be used in
associative arrays (#2).

I don't know the difference between #1 and #3, so I can't tell if they
should share a common package. In anycase, I think putting #3 be in a
crypto package makes sense.

Having 3 different packages seems too much to me. #1 is too
restricted to be a whole package IMHO, and should be along #2 or #3.

--
Christophe