Which D features to emphasize for academic review article

Justin Whear justin at economicmodeling.com
Thu Aug 9 11:20:08 PDT 2012

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 17:57:27 +0200, TJB wrote:

> Hello D Users,
>
> The Software Editor for the Journal of Applied Econometrics has agreed
> to let me write a review of the D programming language for
> econometricians (econometrics is where economic theory and statistical
> analysis meet).  I will have only about 6 pages.  I have an idea of what
> I am going to write about, but I thought I would ask here what features
> are most relevant (in your minds) to numerical programmers writing codes
> for statistical inference.
>
> I look forward to your suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> TJB

Lazy ranges are a lifesaver when dealing with big data.  E.g. read a
large csv file, use filter and map to clean and transform the data,
collect stats as you go, then output to a destination file.  The lazy
nature of most of the ranges in Phobos means that you don't need to have
the data in memory, but you can write simple imperative code just as if
it was.