Is D Language mature for MMORPG Client ?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Aug 9 20:28:10 PDT 2012

On 8/4/2012 8:12 AM, bearophile wrote:
> My two post didn't imply to contain significant insights, they mostly contain a
> single question.
>
> Regarding the value of those two posts, they raises some questions, like: is D
> fit just for video games, or is it good to write highly reliable programs too?
> Are Ada programmers going to appreciate D?
>
> The purposes of a language are important, because they must guide its design and
> progressive development. If D is very good mostly for games, then probably it's
> worth adding in Phobos things useful to write games, and the language designers
> need to listen more to what people like Carmak ask to language designers. On the
> other hand if in D future there is the creation of high integrity systems to
> replace some of the current uses of Ada (and C-high-integrity profiles), then
> it's worth considering how much useful some Ada features are, maybe for present
> and future improvements of D. As I have shown Ada has several advantages over D
> in that regard.

What's frustrating about your analyses is they fail to mention or account for
any features D has that make it more reliable than Ada. It's like you took a
list of Ada features and ticked off which ones were not in D, thus making it a
foregone conclusion that D can never be more than a pathetic subset of Ada.

For once I'd like you to take a list of D features and tick off those not in Ada
(or whatever other language du jour).

Like transitive immutability.