Which D features to emphasize for academic review article

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Aug 10 16:50:04 PDT 2012

On Friday, August 10, 2012 15:10:47 Walter Bright wrote:
> What can I say? I run across this repeatedly, and that's exactly why Phobos
> (with Don's help) has its own implementations, rather than simply calling
> the corresponding C ones.

I think that it's pretty typical for programmers to think that something like
a standard library function is essentially bug-free - especially for an older
language like C. And unless you see results that are clearly wrong or someone
else points out the problem, I don't know why you'd ever think that there was
one. I certainly had no clue that C implementations had issues with floating
point arithmetic before it was pointed out here. Regardless though, it's great
that D gets it right.

- Jonathan M Davis