MPI Concurrency library update?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Aug 11 03:30:14 PDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-08-11 at 03:12 +0200, Andrew wrote:
> On Saturday, 11 August 2012 at 00:24:40 UTC, dsimcha wrote:

> > I was considering writing one, but I wanted it to be high-level
> > and easy-to-use.  I ended up not doing it, initially because I
> > was waiting for serialization to be added to Phobos (which I
> > thought was imminent) and then because I got busy with
> > unrelated things.

Easy to use is good. Did you survey Boost.MPI?

> > I think that a nice high-level MPI wrapper for D should be
> > tightly integrated into a serialization library to encapsulate
> > the low-level details of passing non-trivial data structures
> > across nodes.  I doubt I'll get around to implementing it when
> > serialization is added, though, because I'm probably past the
> > MPI-using stage of my life (my Ph.D. research is basically
> > finished, I'm just revising my dissertation and preparing to
> > defend) so I wouldn't get to eat my own dogfood.

Marshalling and unmarshalling data structures is a real pain. On the
other hand isn't it something that has to be explicit when working with
MPI since the MPI API works solely in machine level data types.

> Well, my PhD research is just beginning... :)
>
> Any chance you could pass on what you have?  It might help me out
> a bit, and reduce my workload toward creating a usable MPI
> library.

I don't have any D-related material, and I don't use MPI for big
cluster-based codes, but I use MPI a lot for some small algorithm
benchmarks. So if you need someone to bounce idea off, feel free to
include me in the set of people you drop a line to.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk