Exception programming difficult

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Aug 11 21:00:51 PDT 2012

On Sunday, August 12, 2012 05:02:25 Marco Leise wrote:
> I know that the Java way isn't perfect, because some lazy people write dummy
> exception handlers to silence the errors, but its a worse solution to _not_
> notify the user of a function, that it potentially throws exceptions, I
> think. So I wish D was explicit about thrown Exceptions.

It's becoming more universally accepted that while checked exceptions seem
like a great idea up front, they're ultimately a bad idea:

http://www.artima.com/intv/handcuffs.html

D has nothrow, which statically verifies that _no_ exceptions are thrown, but
that's as close as it's going to get to having checked exceptions.

- Jonathan M Davis