Exception programming difficult

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Aug 11 21:36:07 PDT 2012

On Saturday, August 11, 2012 21:27:43 Walter Bright wrote:
> Anyhow, that article is why D does not have exception specifications. Also,
> please note that C++ dropped exception specifications.

Though it should be noted that exception specifications are _far_ worse than
checked exceptions, because they're checked at runtime instead of compile
time, and they kill your program if they fail. So, instead of all of the
problems that you get with checked exceptions, you get your program killed at
runtime when you don't get your code quite right.

I think that you're going to have a hard time finding _anyone_ who actually
understands what C++'s exception specifications do and still thinks that
they're a good idea, whereas you _will_ find people who fully understand
checked exceptions and still think that they're a good idea.

- Jonathan M Davis