Which D features to emphasize for academic review article

Era Scarecrow rtcvb32 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 12 04:54:00 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 12 August 2012 at 11:34:20 UTC, dennis luehring wrote:
> Am 12.08.2012 12:38, schrieb Walter Bright:
>> A better design would be to have pure be the default and
>> impure would require annotation. The same for const/immutable.
>> Unfortunately, it's too late for that now. My fault.
>
> its never to late - put it back on the list for D 3 - please
> (and local variables are immutable by default - or something
> like that)

  Agreed. If it is only a signature change then it might have been
possible to accept such a change; as I'm sure it would simplify
quite a bit of signatures and only complicate a few. Probably
default signatures to try and include are: pure, and @safe
(Others off hand I can't think of).

  Make a list of all the issues/mistakes that can be done in D3
(be it ten or fifteen years from now); who knows, maybe the
future is just around the corner if there's a big enough reason
for it. The largest reason not to make big changes is so people
don't get fed up and quit (especially while still trying to write
library code); That and this is suppose to be the 'stable' D2
language right now with language changes having to be weighted
heavily on.