Example of Rust code

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Aug 12 05:30:50 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 12 August 2012 at 11:28:28 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> Paulo Pinto:
>
>> As for the speed of native code produced by JITs for dynamic
>> languages,
>> I think Cog(Smalltalk), Self(Smaltalk ended up becoming JVM
>> Hotspot),
>> PyPy (Python), V8(JavaScript), LLVM(Julia) prove that you can
>> get pretty close to C for the majority of use cases that
>> matter to the common user.
>
> Among V8 developers thee are some ex Self developers.
> I think at the moment there aren't enough Julia benchmarks to
> allow us to judge its performance well enough.
> PyPy is surely not close to C speeds when it JITs Python code
> (PyPy developers need to stop using just their few benchmarks
> and try to optimize many other programs).
> And you miss the best of the bunch, the Lua JIT.

Yeah, silly me forgeting about LuaJIT.

> One problem with JITs is that they give you a good performance
> if they are well implemented and if the the GC is good. While
> older languages produce decent performance even with a simple
> compiler.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

True, this year's Google IO V8 talk has lots of informations on
how
you write JavaScript code can influence the code quality
generated by V8.

 From the compiler design geek I used to be, I find very
interesting to
get myself informed about this area, and I think that dynamic
languages JITs still have a lot of room to improve.

Although personally I prefer static languages with native
compilers for my
own coding projects.

--
Paulo