Which D features to emphasize for academic review article

TJB broughtj at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 13:29:50 PDT 2012

On Sunday, 12 August 2012 at 17:22:21 UTC, dsimcha wrote:

> ...  I find Matlab and R incredibly frustrating to use for
> anything but very standard matrix/statistics computations on
> data that's already structured the way I like it.

This is exactly how I feel, and why I am turning to D. My data
sets are huge (64 TB for just a few years of data) and my
econometric methods computationally intensive and the limitations
of Matlab and R are always almost instantly constraining.

> Using Matlab or R feels like being forced to program with half
> the tools in my toolbox either missing or awkwardly misshapen,
> so I avoid it whenever practical.  Actually, languages like C
> and Java that don't have much modeling power feel the same way
> to me ...

Very well put - it expresses my feeling precisely.  And C++ is
such a complicated beast that I feel caught in between.  I'd been
dreaming of a language that offers modeling power as well as
efficiency.

> ...  Do most serious programmers who work in problem domains
> relevant to Matlab and R feel this way or is it just me?.

I certainly feel the same. I only use them when I have to or for
very simple prototyping.

> This was my motivation for writing Dstats and mentoring
> Cristi's fork of SciD.  D's modeling power is so outstanding
> that I was able to replace R and Matlab for a lot of use cases
> with plain old libraries written in D.

Thanks for your work on these packages! I will for sure be
including them in my write up. I think they offer great
possibilities for econometrics in D.

TJB