Which D features to emphasize for academic review article

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Sun Aug 12 18:52:15 PDT 2012

On 12/08/12 18:22, dsimcha wrote:
> For people with more advanced CS/programming knowledge, though, this is an
> advantage of D.  I find Matlab and R incredibly frustrating to use for anything
> but very standard matrix/statistics computations on data that's already
> structured the way I like it.  This is mostly because the standard CS concepts
> you mention are at best awkward and at worst impossible to express and, being
> aware of them, I naturally want to take advantage of them.

The main use-case and advantage of both R and MATLAB/Octave seems to me to be
the plotting functionality -- I've seen some exceptionally beautiful stuff done
with R in particular, although I've not personally explored its capabilities too
far.

The annoyance of R in particular is the impenetrable thicket of dependencies
that can arise among contributed packages; it feels very much like some are
thrown over the wall and then built on without much concern for organization. :-(