Which D features to emphasize for academic review article

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 12 22:11:16 PDT 2012

On Monday, 13 August 2012 at 01:52:28 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> The main use-case and advantage of both R and MATLAB/Octave
> seems to me to be the plotting functionality -- I've seen some
> exceptionally beautiful stuff done with R in particular,
> although I've not personally explored its capabilities too far.
>
> The annoyance of R in particular is the impenetrable thicket of
> dependencies that can arise among contributed packages; it
> feels very much like some are thrown over the wall and then
> built on without much concern for organization. :-(

I've addressed that, too :).

https://github.com/dsimcha/Plot2kill

Obviously this is a one-man project without nearly the same
number of features that R and Matlab have, but like Dstats and
SciD, it has probably the 20% of functionality that handles 80%
of use cases.  I've used it for the figures in scientific
articles that I've submitted for publication and in my Ph.D.
proposal and dissertation.

Unlike SciD and Dstats, Plot2kill doesn't highlight D's modeling
capabilities that much, but it does get the job done for simple
2D plots.