D Shell [was Re: A C++ interpreter]

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Aug 12 23:51:17 PDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-13 at 07:53 +0200, Era Scarecrow wrote:
> On Monday, 13 August 2012 at 04:25:19 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> > Am Mon, 13 Aug 2012 05:38:01 +0200
> > schrieb Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com>:

> >> http://dlang.org/rdmd.html
> >
> > Aw come on, that is not a shell
>
>   Isn't rdmd just a wrapper for the compiler, then calls the
> compiled code (or previously saved version of it) afterwards?
> (That's the impression I get anyways)

Shells such as Python, Scala, etc. are good for some one-off experiments
and tasks, but I think in general they are over-rated in general
usefulness.  Much better for non-trivial experimentation is to have a
super-lightweight editor/execution. Groovy has GroovyConsole, Python has
IDLE. Personally I find Emacs/rdmd excellent as an experimentation
combination for D codes.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk