Which D features to emphasize for academic review article

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Aug 13 12:30:31 PDT 2012

On 8/12/2012 6:38 PM, F i L wrote:
> Also, and I'm not sure this isn't just me, but I ran a DMD (v2.057 T think)
> vector test (no simd) against Mono C# a few moths back where DMD got only ~10 ms
> improvement over C# (~79ms vs ~88ms). Now a similar test compiled with DMD 2.060
> runs at ~22ms vs C#'s 80ms, so I believe there's been some definite optimization
> improvements in the internal DMD compiler over the last few version.

There's a fair amount of low hanging optimization fruit that D makes possible
that dmd does not take advantage of. I hope to get to this.

One thing is I suspect that D can generate much better SIMD code than C/C++ can
without compiler extensions.

Another is that D allows values to be moved without needing a
copyconstruct/destruct operation.