DMD diagnostic - any way to remove identical lines from final dmd error log?

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Aug 14 02:32:45 PDT 2012

On Tuesday, 14 August 2012 at 08:48:14 UTC, Don Clugston wrote:
> On 14/08/12 08:59, Don Clugston wrote:
>> On 13/08/12 18:47, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
>>> I seriously consider writing a simple postprocessor for dmd's
>>> output.
>>> Once dmd became able to recover from errors and crawl on it
>>> started to
>>> produce horrific amounts of redundant text on failure.
>>>
>>> Observe for instance that there are only 6 + 2 = 8 lines of
>>> interest:
>>
>> Spurious or repeated error messages should be considered to be
>> bugs.
>> Please put test cases in Bugzilla. A long time ago, the
>> compiler used to
>> spew reams of garbage all the time. Now it rarely happens.
>>
>>> Other food for thought is to try to indicate explicitly which
>>> errors
>>> are related vs unrelated, which are collateral, like failed
>>> template
>>> instantiation that rolls out the whole path of failure (but
>>> one have to
>>> read the text carefully to get where it starts).
>>
>> That's already happening. Supplemental messages don't have the
>> word
>> 'Error' at the start of the error message.
>
> One fairly easy way to solve this, would be that once a
> template *instantiation* has failed, the template *definition*
> would be marked as doubtful, and any further instantiation
> using that definition would have all error messages suppressed.
> If an error occurred, a single error would be produced stating
> that the template instantiation failed.
>
> The downside would be that if the template instantiation failed
> for a completely different reason the second time, its root
> cause error would not be shown. But this latest release is the
> only time such errors have been shown anyway.

Personally I loved the way Turbo Pascal used to work with compile
failure on the first error.

Thanks to the fast compile times, it was easier and faster to
fix-compile-find_next_error, than try to sort out the real errors
from a dump of error messages.

But I seem to be in the minority regarding compiler error
messages.

--
Paulo