The review of std.hash package

RivenTheMage riven-mage at id.ru
Wed Aug 15 02:17:26 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 15 August 2012 at 08:55:30 UTC, David Nadlinger
wrote:

> Why? 1) might have a different interface than the others, but
> 2) and 3) only differ in their cryptological properties, the
> interface will likely be just the same – or what are you
> thinking about?
>
> David

The "only" difference between 2) and 3) is a big difference.
CRC32, Adler, etc. are NOT a cryptographic hash fuctions. Their
purpose is to detect accidental errors caused by malfunction of
hardware or software, nothing more.

For me, it's weird and confusing to mix checksums and MDCs.

It's about organizing the standard library for the better
usability. That is the whole point of modules. After all, you can
place all the standard library in one module, why not? :-)