D language as script through JVM

xenon325 1 at mail.net
Thu Aug 16 00:51:52 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 16 August 2012 at 00:48:44 UTC, Alexey Egorov wrote:
> I think what D can be a perfect script language. Even more, i
> think it will can become very popular language, if it will be
> possible to use it as script language.

Try rdmd (http://dlang.org/rdmd.html)

It actually do compilation. But the idea is when compiler is
lightning-fast (which dmd is), there is no practical difference
to interpreter.
Though I don't know what the limit in terms of script size is,
but for sure it's above 1000 lines of code, which will be enough
for a lot of use cases.

> I think there is no problems to make, for example, compiler for
> Java Virtual Machine.

I'm not a compiler writer, but I've read recently [1] that .NET
VM is too limited to implement even @safe D. I would think JVM is
the same in this regard.

> I know, you will say what D designed for run-time

IIRC actually community was pretty excited when rdmd came out.

[1]
http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/xm5y0/d_260_released_d_programming_language/c5nqlaz