D Shell [was Re: A C++ interpreter]

1100110 10equals2 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 00:15:17 PDT 2012

On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 01:51:17 -0500, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-08-13 at 07:53 +0200, Era Scarecrow wrote:
>> On Monday, 13 August 2012 at 04:25:19 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:

>> > Aw come on, that is not a shell
>>
>>   Isn't rdmd just a wrapper for the compiler, then calls the
>> compiled code (or previously saved version of it) afterwards?
>> (That's the impression I get anyways)
>
> Shells such as Python, Scala, etc. are good for some one-off experiments
> and tasks, but I think in general they are over-rated in general
> usefulness.  Much better for non-trivial experimentation is to have a
> super-lightweight editor/execution. Groovy has GroovyConsole, Python has
> IDLE. Personally I find Emacs/rdmd excellent as an experimentation
> combination for D codes.

Here come the flames, but check out vim + the D Syntastic plugin.
(not you in particular. =P)

I have it set to check every time I save the file.

This, coupled with a barebones.d file, allows easy experimentation.
It highlights the error the line is on, and shows the error msg when
you are on that line.