Failed unittest

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 02:51:09 PDT 2012

I find unittests to be a very very useful too in D. However, one
of the things that I am seeing is that it does not scale very
well (Phobos in mind), as the tests stop as soon as the first
failure. Heck compilation stops at the first unittest compilation
failure.

This is bad because:
a) In a large scale project, there are always some things that
are broken
b) There is no way to pre-emptivelly write a "failing" unit test,
while waiting for a known bug to be fixed.

The end result are tests that are not as aggressive as they could
be, or things that are not covered, because they did not
initially work due to some bug somewhere else, and nobody writing
the test once said bug was solved...

I'm wondering if:
1) Would it be possible to compile "as many unittests as
possible", and simply omit the tests that static assert? This
would create a "unit test compilation failure", but not prevent
the tests that *did* compile from moving on to the run-time
testing.
2) Would it be possible to execute ALL unit tests, even after one
fails?