Fragile ABI

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Aug 21 23:32:29 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 22 August 2012 at 00:15:12 UTC, David Piepgrass
wrote:
>> Lets see how the improved COM (WinRT) turns out to be.
>
> Sadly, WinRT is again intended to be Windows-only, so
> developers like me that hate lock-in will avoid it in
> preference for .NET (hi Mono!) and yucky old C.

Because UNIX systems are still in the stone age in terms of ABI,
as they
barely changes since the 70's and no one seems to care enough to
change things.

I like UNIX a lot, but got to know it, after knowing what is
possible in more advanced languages, so it always dismays me that
specially when dealing with most commercial UNIX it feels like
being in the 70's computing age.

So that lives only Apple and Microsoft with room for real OS
innovation in mainstream OS, and like any vendor they prefer to
look for solutions that fit only their OS.

Mac OS x is also UNIX, but Apple has been changing it already
quite a lot compared with the other vendors, hence my Apple
remark.

--
Paulo