Formatted read consumes input

monarch_dodra monarchdodra at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 05:16:24 PDT 2012

On Friday, 24 August 2012 at 11:18:55 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 August 2012 at 11:33:19 UTC, monarch_dodra
> wrote:
>> I've traced the root issue to formattedRead's signature, which
>> is:
>> uint formattedRead(R, Char, S...)(ref R r, const(Char)[] fmt,
>> S args);
>>

> As I explained above the reason is because the only sane logic
> of multiple reads is to consume input and to do so it needs ref.

I had actually considered that argument. But a lot of algorithms
have the same approach, yet they don't take refs, they *return*
the consumed front:

----
R formattedRead(R, Char, S...)(R r, const(Char)[] fmt, S args)

auto s2 = formatedRead(s, "%d", &v);
----

Or arguably:

----
Tuple!(size_t, R) formattedRead(R, Char, S...)(R r, const(Char)[]
fmt, S args)
----

"minCount", "boyerMooreFinder" and "levenshteinDistanceAndPath"
all take this approach to return a consumed range plus an
index/count.